Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Podcast Reflection #5: Learning in Hand Podcast #22: Educational Apps

For this weeks reflection on a podcast I chose to hit up Tony Vincents website and see what thoughts he had to offer up on technology.  His website mainly focuses on the Apple line of hand-held products; the Ipod, Ipod Touch, and Ipad.  Prior to watching his podcast I have been a bit naive on the functions of the Ipods thinking that they were only used for music and games.  That knowledge base coming from what I have seen of people using them. Tony's podcast showed me how wrong I am. In his ten minute blurb Tony showed nearly 20 apps that can be downloaded and purchased for the Ipods and Ipad that are all directly related to education and ones that teachers can use directly in the classroom.  I had always scuffed and turned my nose up at the idea of a teacher using an Ipod in the classroom but now I see how it can be directly applicable.  For example, Tony illustrated a downloadable app that allows the student to take a first hand look at a plant or animal cell. Not only can you see the cell, but, you can rotate it, zoom in, click on specific parts, and get detailed information on each parts functions.  It is basically like having a cell in your hand to examine.  What an incredible learning tool. Had I had stuff like that when I was taking biology it would have helped me understand so much better because I am a hands on learner and that would be so much better then looking at a picture in a book.  Another thing I found to be very cool and applicable at the elementary school level were several apps that tested knowledge and worked certain skills.  For example, Tony showed an app that illustrated a map of the United States and the goal was to correctly identify all 50 states in 60 seconds as the name appeared on the game.  Another app was a two player game that used simple math skills and challenged each student to reach the right answer the fastest.  Both of these would be great educational tools to use when students are forced to stay indoors on a day for recess.  I found Tony's information to be incredibly helpful and totally changed my opinion on using Ipods in the classroom.  I know follow Tony on Twitter as well and hope to get even more great ideas in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment